Wednesday, March 6, 2013

slice #6



The "maybe we'll get one more snow day" hype was in full swing yesterday.  If you teach, you know what this kind of hype does to a classroom.  And it really leaves you no choice, but to also wish for just one more snow day.  If you can't beat them, join them.  After all it is all about the kids, isn't it? 

So this morning I woke up before my alarm.  Which is quite unusual.  Quite.  I'm instantly alert & making major decisions.  Do I check my phone for the text that lets me know how my day will go?  It might be too early to check.  What if the text hasn't been sent yet & I'm just disappointed for nothing?  Or should I just sleep for a few more minutes & then check closer to a normal hour?  Should I look out the window so I know what to expect?  Or stay burrowed under the quilt?  After much back & forth I made a decision.  I checked my phone.  Much easier than getting out of bed to check the window, right?  2 hour delay!  I'll take it!  Change the setting on the alarm clock, let the hubs know so he won't wake me up in a panic that I've overslept, & settle back in for a few more hours of much-needed sleep.  When it was finally time to get up I checked my phone one more time, just in case.  Snow day!! 

I don't think I'll ever get tired of snow days!  There is something so luxurious about them.  Especially when they are in the middle of a very hectic week.  Today has been exactly what I needed.  Nestled on the couch with my books & Netflix.  Yes, just exactly what I needed. 

5 comments:

  1. I love those surprise days off in the middle of the week. It is a wonderful change of pace to have to stay home. I go for a good book, but any way it is spent, it is a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the snow day! So nice that a delayed opening turned into a full day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy,
    This is all so true! I think I asked myself all of these same questions this morning. I got the first call for my family pretty early this morning and went back to sleep. When I woke up, I cautiously turned on the television hope to not be disappointed. When I see certain districts are out, I know our chances are better. After all, as you said, if you can't beat them you might as well join them.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think the excitement of snow days ever wears off, no matter how old you are! We're supposed to be getting snow, so my students were asking me all day what I thought about school tomorrow. I'm sure they'll be dreaming of a snow day tonight... and I most definitely will be too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luxurious - great way to describe a snow day. I like the way you described your thinking, the questions you asked yourself. I'm just like a kid, I have to jump up and look out the window to see if the predicted snow arrived. I love the words "nestled on the couch!" Happy snow day!

    ReplyDelete