Do you ever have those days when you wonder if anything you say is getting across to your students? You ask them about words & concepts you've worked on for months,only to be met with blank stares. Sometimes it seems like most days are like that. But, then a day like today comes along & you know they are getting it. My 5th graders made my day & here is why:
- Today they were finishing up a couple of items from our Iditarod tracking. One of them hung his head, shaking it, & said, "Mrs. Blackburn, I just don't think I can talk about it today. I really miss the Iditarod & wish it wasn't already over. It was just so much fun!!"
- I add 5 new words to our word wall every week & every 3 weeks move them above the alphabet letters. Each batch is on a different color of paper... new color every 3 weeks. Today we started a new batch. One of my boys came in looked at the wall, smiled, & said "I couldn't wait to get in here today to see what color our new words were. You pick good colors for us."
- I'm reading Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea to them after lunch. I'm not going to give details of what they said to avoid revealing any spoilers, but their conversations about this book were unbelievable. They're getting it.

Don't you love those days. I read that book last year to my fifth graders and they loved it. Great book
ReplyDeleteI love days like this! Enjoy! I do not know the book Because of Mr. Terupt so am off to learn a little about it.
ReplyDelete