Tuesday, March 5, 2013

slice #5



Our 6th graders were responsible for the PTO meeting tonight.  The 6th grade language arts teachers decided we would focus on poetry. We are doing a March Madness bracket with books so we talked about that, too.We asked students to choose poems to read, either ones they'd written themselves or found.  The weather is really nasty here tonight, so we really weren't sure how many would show up.  We had about a dozen!  Which we were pleased with for a middle school program. 
After the students were done sharing we shared Ralph Fletcher's "The Good Old Days" poem.  Students had passed out clipboards & paper as people were coming in & told people they would be participating in the program.  The students spread out in the bleachers with their families to work on creating their own poetry.  It was so sweet to see them sharing & encouraging their families to write poetry!

On another note... I'm really tired!  I keep hoping to get started on my writing before 8 or 9 at night, but so far it hasn't happened!  But, I'm still writing, so I'm happy with that!  See you tomorrow fellow slicers :)

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like such a cool night. :) I just participated in a profeesional book talk in my ditrict on Ralph Fletcher's book, "Boy Writers; Reclaiming Their Voices," and we skyped with him. Haha.. He's great. I use a lot of his books in my own 6th grade class especially, "Marshfield Dreams," and "Writers Notebook." I love the idea of your kids planning the night too. Thanks for writing now when you did.. It inspired me to begin planning somthing similiar with my own students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mandy.
    The poetry night sounded really fun. Very creative, and the students took ownership of the night.
    I am commenting late, as I had a play practice tonight. Welcome to the Slice. It is my second year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fabulous evening for those who showed up. I understand the really tired part and I applaud you for continuing to write!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that middle schoolers were writing poetry side by side with their families!! What a gift those in attendance received!! Hope you're home today with a snow day like we are - give you a chance to rest. :)

    ReplyDelete