I've always been a reader. Always. Even before I could read, I loved books & was surrounded by them. I have all these artifacts of a reading life & have been thinking about how I would like to curate them into some sort of project. Photographs of them with some quick blurbs about them is what I keep coming back to. I'm big on nostalgia & photography, so the two hobbies could really combine on this (future??) project. So, I'm thinking this month some of my slices could be a perfect place to try out some ideas for this.
My sweet dad sent me a text this morning with this picture of me reading when I was little. He said it was in honor of Read Across America. I love that he cares so much to send these sweet little things! Just beyond thoughtful, really. I think it was taken Christmas 1976 when we were visiting my grandparents. Just me & Drowsy hanging out with The Three Bears. Love.

I spy Drowsy! I had her, too. I did have a moment, after her string for her voice box broke, during which I used scissors to slice her tummy open to study how she talked. I had the decency to sew her up... And then I put a baby dress on her so that my mom wouldn't know.
ReplyDeleteOn a different note, I read Curious George to one of my dogs, as she loves monkeys on TV. My son just read a poem about a ghost and toast to my other dog. They make great listeners, too. :)
I loved Drowsy! I still have her, but her hair is a little, um, matted. That's hysterical that you performed surgery on her!
DeleteWhat a thoughtful dad to send you evidence of your life as a reader. I love your project idea. How creative.
ReplyDeleteHow cool that your dad will text. My dad says it's too confusing and he doesn't want any part of it. And what a great picture of you reading a book. You gotta love that 70's carpet too!
ReplyDeleteOh, he loves to text since he got an iPhone! And that carpet was just removed from my Nannie's house last week!!!
DeleteWhat a wonderful memory from a caring father! I can still remember when I used to read to my dolls. They were a really good audience--they never complained or said that a particular book was boring:) Thank you for sharing your story.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful memory to start your morning with. I always had a book or more going, but I don't remember many reading pictures from my childhood. I definitely took pictures of my daughter with books, though. I still do.
ReplyDeleteYour Dad is the bestest. It is too cute to see you reading to your doll. I am so jealous. I live in New Orleans and many of my baby pictures were lost during Hurricane Katrina. You are so lucky to have these little glimpses into your past.
ReplyDeleteThese flashbacks help us to see how it is that we have become who we are... Priceless.