Last February my grandfather passed away. He fell & broke his hip on a Thursday night, wasn't strong enough for surgery, and passed away on Sunday. One day I still had all four of my grandparents. The next day I didn't. This past month I've been thinking about him often. And missing him.
Last Saturday during the Dublin Literacy Conference, when Ralph Fletcher invited us to write using his poem "The Good Old Days" in his general session, my thoughts immediately went to my grandparents. This is what I came up with:
Sometimes I remember
the good old days
visiting a house with
both grandparents still inside
each having their
own brand of love
struggling to find
a balance
Nannie at the window
eager to listen
PawPaw in his chair
eager to share
I still can't imagine
anything better than that.
Wonderful way to remember your grandfather! And, welcome to slicing!
ReplyDeleteGrandparents are so special in our lives. What a great way to start this journey of writing.
ReplyDeleteWelcome Sandy,
ReplyDeleteI love your grandparents poem, especially the contrast
Nannie at the window
eager to listen
PawPaw in his chair
eager to share
You are off to a great start,
Bonnie
What a wonderful tribute to your grandfather. I am SURE he is proud of who you are and what you do. Welcome to slicing where you will, for sure, write about the people and things that matter to you.
ReplyDeleteMandy,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed Ralph's session. It was refreshing to take such a close look at writing. Like you, I had four amazing grandparents. I loved spending time with each of them --- and all of them. I think of them often. This line really caught my attention,
"each having their
own brand of love."
So true!
Cathy
One day I still had all four of my grandparents. The next day I didn't.
ReplyDeleteSo much can change in just one day.
Mandy, I am sorry for your loss.
Thank you for sharing your grandparents in your poem.
Oh, and welcome. :)
The love between grandparents and grandchildren is such a pure, beautiful, simple thing... and you've reflected that in your poem in the best of ways... :)
ReplyDelete